Saturday, March 31, 2007

More work woes

It was another week where work was really getting in the way of my best pool. Sometimes you have to wonder where my priorities are!

I've joined a new league on Wednesday nights, which I really enjoy because its not handicapped, and it gives me a chance to test my skills without a player. Its also a round robin format, so you have to be able to play a game, sit out for awhile and then jump back in and get focused again.

I did okay on Wednesday, winning 2 out 3, but never really found my stroke until the very last shot. I had an easy key ball shot on a ball in the jaws, but I hit it just the right speed and english to get straight in on the 8 in the side. Just as I had imagined. But, I had asked to leave early, because I expected to have to jump back on the computer and work into the night.

Instead, the work didn't come down the pike until the next morning and unfortunately went into the wee hours of the night on Thursday. At 9:30, I actually left work to go play my match so we didn't have to forfeit, knowing that I would have to go back to the office and probably be there all night.

I never got all that comfortable in the venue. Maybe it was my late arrival, but there just wasn't that much atmosphere. The guy I was playing was as high as a kite, but a decent enough shooter. I should have been out when I scratched on a long shot. I even overheard the other team say, "she's going to scracth", but I foolishly thought I could control the speed. Almost worked. Should have gone off the rail. Luckily, my opponent scratched and I had ball in hand on the eight. But I was so chicken doing a shot into the side that I asked for a time out and even had my coach line up the cue ball. For some reason, I had trouble seeing the shot and I could just see it bouncing off the corner. Okay, so I'm a wimp, but I won.

I'm also haunted by a shot that I missed. It was a thin cut, that I didn't expect to make, but thought would block the pocket, but I hit it way too hard for that to be a possiblity. I just didn't take time to feel the shot.

So, stance and feel.

So, what's the lesson from this week.

No comments: