Thursday, November 8, 2007

Playing tired...

Note to self. Too much pool is not good for my game. Too little sleep is not good for my game.

Yes. I lost tonight.

First game, played okay, but missed a critical safety, and sold out. Then a drunken teammate came by and told me that if I needed a timeout that I should call one. And I said, yes, when I think I need a timeout I call one. Its not that I didn't know what to do. Its that I missed the shot. And thank you for coming up to me in the middle of my match and implying that my skill was lacking. If you want to call a time out, please call one. I don't mind. Oh, but you want the player to call the time out. Okay, right. Because you don't want to offer unsolicited advice....Got it.

I recovered from my inner "aaargh" after teammate consultation to win the second game, with some good strategy, and some damn good positions for me (if I do say so myself.). I really find it very satisfying that I can now use the full table to move the cue ball around to get on the right side of a ball. Especially because it freaks people out.....(Although I have to confess the reason I had to move the cue ball so much, is I screwed up my leaves in the first place!)

Third game, I was "pants" as my British friends would say. I won't drag either of us through a recap. Actually, I had my chances, but it was not meant to be...

I left right after my match, which I never do. But as I walked out into the street I realized how tired I was. And how I was not sad to be leaving my team, or to not be playing anymore pool. I actually could have skipped it tonight. In fact, I could skip pool all weekend (What's wrong with me). Too much practice is not a good thing. If I want my best game on Thursdays, I have to remember that I need to be hungry for it.....

2 comments:

Michael Smetana said...

Ah yes, I have participated in some real pool tournaments and I did quite well, but I don't believe that too much practice is a bad thing. When I play I eat Sleep and drink pool. Articles

poolminnow said...

Thank you ropheka and michael.

I'm sure that some people can do nothing but play pool. Such is not the case for me. At some point, I lose the love of the game, get sloppy, and then it just isn't helping. Sometimes when I run into my instructor while practicing, he'll remind me, "Don't play too much. Always leave wanting more."