Tuesday, October 2, 2007

What's your hurry?

Okay, so today was a lesson in humiitiy. My team was short a player so I had to play the last two matches. One to a skill level Two (who is under-ranked) and the other to a Six, who also maybe under-ranked. And then there's me. Based on the way I played, I am severly over-ranked. Not one of my better performances. I made some good shots, but I never got comfortable.

I played a few more games with the 6 after we were done and got to talking. He said that he had seen me sometimes shoot like a 4, but that today I wasn't consistently staying down and following through. This is how I play when things are stressful at work--I just get a little jumpy, don't settle in. I'm not convinced that is what is screwing up my shot, or if its that I've screwed up my shot, and the minute I see that I pull out. Anyway, a litte sad that no one from my own team could have given me the same feedback during my match. I even asked for it, but got no feedback at all.

Sigh. Still hoping to put together a dream team. But in the meantime, I'll just have to scribble little reminders in a notebook that I consult between innings, or maybe start having the seven habits of highly successful pool players tattooed on my wrist.

No comments: