Saturday, September 20, 2008

Win some...lose some more....and sitting on the sidelines

I seem to be alternating between confident peak performances where I let my stroke out and really play, and games where I hold back and play too tightly, afraid to lose. Its funny how sometimes success can raise your expectations and actually undermine you. I think that may be what's going on here. But as long as I remember that the losses hold valuable lessons, and may be just what I need to succeed when it really matters, I'm good.

Outside of league play.....

I've been spending a lot of time as a railbird. Two weekends ago at the World Ten-Ball Qualifier and then this weekend at the US Amateur Qualifier. A couple of friends have given me a hard time that I'm not playing this weekend. Not because I'm really that level of player, but because they know I love playing in tournaments and think the experience would be good for me.

At the time the application was due, I was in the midst of a major losing streak, and the idea of paying 40 bucks to watch 2 matches where my opponent runs racks of 9-ball on me didn't sound like a good deal. I can play in four $10 double elimination tournaments for the same amount, and watch 8 matches where my opponents run racks of 9-ball on me. I decided to wait until next year and play a lot of 9-ball in the meantime.

Of course, I wake up this morning....and I want to play! (There are only 11 players in the women's qualifier, which really makes me sad. But I'm happy that my recruitment efforts added 2 players to the mix).

Alas, I won't be playing today, but its good to be hungry. The APA Regional Singles is in a couple of weeks. I'm starting to get itchy...Its been a whole month since Vegas and I want to go back.

No comments: