Wednesday, November 19, 2008

All zenned up with no place to go

Its probably a bad idea to blog when I'm as grouchy as I am right now. I'm grouchy about work, grouchy about the weather, grouchy about pool, I'm grouchy about my weak coffee and overly sugary muffin. Grouchy about my computer. Grouchy about the earth's axis and my distance from the equator and what its doing to the daylight right now.

But weak coffee and slow computers aside....

I'm in kind of a strange place with pool right now. On the one hand, I feel like my clean slate has really done my game some good. (There's really a whole other post in the details of that, but not today). On the other, I've been increasingly frustrated with league, and have been pretty much the opposite of zen on league nights.

Partially, its just pent up stress from work that's spilling into after hours, but its also that I suspect the APA isn't good for my game right now. That's not to say that I have everyone's number and I'm definitively kicking ass left and right. I am still a tiny, tiny fish in a small pond. But, its a lot of the same fish, and familiarity breeds boredom. Boredom breeds sloppy pool. Sloppy pool leads to drinking. Which leads to grouchy mornings at work.

So, its time to really get clear on my goals for the next year or so, (I know, how many times have I said that?), and then think about how I spend my pool time. I doubt that I'll drop APA completely, but if what I'll really enjoy is getting my butt kicked by someone who really knows how to do it and can teach me something, then I've got to get outside of league, because the opportunities for that are too few and far between here.

No comments: