Saturday, July 18, 2009

Must I paint you a picture?

Okay, nothing really pool related today, but I'd like to buy a camera before Vegas and I'm looking for recommendations. I'm not sure what I want to do, get a ultra-compact point and shoot, that will be cheaper and convenient, but more limited in what I can shoot. Or spend more to get something like a low-end superzoom camera, so I can go a little crazy.

As you might imagine, I might take a few pictures in the pool scene....so I'm looking for something that's good in low light and has good image stabilization. I've posted on a few camera forums, and I've heard something to the effect of, if you're taking pictures at pool tournaments, NOTHING less than an SLR will do, you might be able to get by with something for about $800. Sigh. Even if I could afford an $800 camera, I'm not sure I'd want to be carrying it around.

Then, for a compact, if I MUST, they recommend a discontinued Fuji camera which is now available on ebay. (Maybe it is the best low-light compact camera ever built, but its still kind of pricey for a compact that comes with no warranty).

So, I'm throwing this out to the blogosphere...

Any pool player out there with a camera that they love?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi pool minnow,

this may work for a point & shoot, since it has 7x optical zoom, plus it's water resistant. not sure if u can use flash in a tournament though; players may get pissed off.

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11381065&whse=BC&topnav=&browse=&lang=en-US

if u have a costco membership it's beneficial to get cameras there, since they have a pretty good electronics return policy. (90 days w/ receipt!)

also, this is a decent place to do research before purchase.

http://www.dpreview.com/

hope this helps.

adhesive remover said...

All my digital cameras (all of which have taken pics for my blog) are Canon Powershot Digital ELPHs. First one was a 630 and the one I have now is a 750. I think the lowest-end one in that line now is a 770 and it runs $179 at Canon's site (you can probably get it cheaper elsewhere).

Faster shutter speed will capture action shots, but in less detail and more graininess (especially in low light).

Slower shutter speed means you'll need a steady hand and your pictures will have nice detail (all those food pics!).

I am by no means knowledgeable about photography but this is what I have learned so far.

Anonymous said...

hello pool minnow. did you end up finding a camera to your liking?