Sunday, March 30, 2008

Rewriting my list....

Last week, my team was playing our rival in the division. We usually duke it out for 1st & 2nd. I like playing this team, although I'm pretty much guaranteed to play one of two people, and I'd really prefer to mix it up a bit. But so it goes back in the small pond of a tiny league....

Anyway, one of my usual opponents shows up and says "Hi, Pool Minnow....So how's your game?" "Uh, okay, I guess." "Well, I'm glad to see you here cuz I was hoping for a rematch."

Hmmm....I already knew this, but apparently, I'm on his "list." In the end, I did end up playing him, although mostly to accommodate the schedules of our other players. After the match, he said, "I think we've got a nice little rivalry going here." I just smiled and nodded, because I didn't have the heart to tell him that he wasn't on my list.

I mean no disrespect to him. He's a nice person and an excellent shooter, and from time to time can pull out a spectacular cut shot worthy of applause. But he's also one of those players, that as long as he doesn't get too far ahead, you just wait for him to do something like shoot down to his last ball and then predictably sink it in a way that would guarantee absolutely no shot on the 8. You get ball in hand, and control the table until you win. And although, he can get the best of me from time to time, I feel that in a few months, if I continue to improve at the same rate (knock wood), I think I'll have an advantage. While I'd rather win, losing will not carry the sting of a lost opportunity and I won't wait for my next chance to regain my honor. Nope. Not on the list.

I guess its time to rewrite the list. I need to find those other 4s that I can go head to head with and start gaining some credibility at my new level. My list usually consists of those players at my speed or the one's at the top of the food chain (and those who act like idiots and deserve to get their asses kicked), but my speed has changed, so I need to upgrade who I consider my peers to be. (Most of the idiots will remain on the list, although not as peers I hope.)

I also realized that I have another list. A list that keeps track of each and every loss I experience in league. Not a list of opponents, but a list of self-butt-kicking shots that I miss. My game losers. The dawgs. I need to own these dawgs. And once they go on the list, I commit to never, ever let them get the better of me again. Once on the list, I practice them until I know, that when they come up in a game, I am not facing a shot that once kicked my ass, but one of MY shots. One of my winning shots. A shot I can count on. So, on the days when none of my matches are with people on the first list, maybe I can find a little excitement about being watchful for shots on my second list.

Anyway, stay tuned, I'm going to see if I can figure out how to use Cue Table so I can start posting my shots from the List.

No comments: