Friday, April 25, 2008

Proof of Life

"Sometimes, you kick ass. Sometimes, the ass kicks you." - First read on OMGWTF massiveunderstatement.blogspot.com

Lets just say, that if I'm starting my blog entry with the above quotation, that I don't have much nice to say about league this week. So, I'm not going to say much and will turn to more pleasant matters. My fragile feminine ego burns with indignation and a desire to kick ass, a certain ass. Perhaps, someday I'll tell the story when it can be told as a tale of righteous vindication. Until then, just know, this week I sucked at league pool, and it wasn't fun.

But, while league has yet to catch fire again, I returned to the practice table and really enjoyed myself. I had my first coaching session in ages, and remembered how much fun I have when I feel like I'm learning.

Also, I revisited a frozen rail shot drill that I abandoned a while ago. (6 Balls on the rail, any order - no bumping object balls, no combos and no banks, kicks are okay). Before this week, I had successfully run all six balls only once--and that felt like luck. As I tried it again, I realized I had no idea how I had actually managed it. After many attempts, it just didn't seem like I was progressing, so I moved on.

(A Cuetable diagram is supposed to go here, but as I have quite figured it out yet, and its really just kind of an extraneous graphic element (its not exactly a complicated layout), you'll just have to use your immagination)

This week, in my first attempt, I ran all six. Out of the next ten attempts, I ran at least 5 balls each time, and successfully did all 6 two additional times. In one of my perfect innings I had to shoot my last ball up the long rail, which is kind of a failure in a position drill, but still, I finished. I even tried some different patterns and had a sense of what to expect the cue ball to do. So, something good is going on, even if it isn't showing up on game night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ever onward! :-)

CueTable said...

Hi Pool Minnow:

I came across your blog by accident. It's pretty cool. You should play your heart out every time, or at least bring out CueTable every time...

For more info on adding CueTable to your blog, please check:
http://cuetable.com/Tutorial/L9.htm

Also, feel free to contact us via our website or the online forum: http://pl.cuetable.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54

Yours in billiard,

Wei
CueTable.com