Friday, November 23, 2007

Plans: Best laid or otherwise laughable, but mine nonetheless

So, the regional tournament is in March. That gives me about 3 months to bring out the best in my game. While it would be exciting to do well in the actual tournament, the real goal is to use the event as a motivator to bring my game to a new level.

So, there from what I can tell, I have two major weaknesses to my basic game I can work on:
-My pre-shot routine is not consistent, and I don't make a firm shot decision that I stick to when I go down for the shot.
-I've gotten lazy about my stroke fundamentals. This time last year, my stroke was smooth and had a consistent rhythm. Now, I've started pulling up and poking at the ball as I focus more on other shot elements.
-Of course, my patterns have a lot of room for improvement, but that will just take time, so I'm not going to focus on that in practice in the short-term.

Besides fundamentals, there are a host of specialty shots that would really give me an edge: Safeties, Kick shots, Bank shots, Jacked up shots, Rail-bridge shots...and then maybe Carom and Combinations.

I'm looking at Mark Wilson's Billiard Bootcamp (thanks to Liz Ford's recommendation in her WPBA profile) as inspiration for putting together a routine. I'd like to put together a mix of my ususal fundamental exercises from my instructor (from the SPF school), with a series of week by week rotation working on the specialty shots, but adding Safety drills (from Steve Capelle's Practicing Pool) & Jacked up shots (after reading Samm Diep's blog) which aren't included in the Bootcamp.

And then the last piece, I need to add some kind of mental preparation that I haven't decided on.

Anyway, stay tuned....I will keep you posted on my progress.

No comments: